INHABIT Inflammatory Bowel Disease Study

Researchers from the University of Wollongong want to learn whether nutritional supplements can reduce inflammation, improve symptoms, and improve gut health in adults with Ulcerative Colitis.

Study Purpose/Description

This research will explore whether new treatments can help people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease. The INHABIT study is a clinical trial investigating whether anthocyanins from fruit extract combined with a specific probiotic reduce inflammation and change the gut microbiota in people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

What’s Involved?

Participants will need to:

  • take two products daily for 12 weeks,
  • complete some online questionnaires about diet, symptoms and health
  • provide stool samples posted in the mail at the start and end of the study, and

This study is conducted remotely and does not require travel.

The two products are: freeze-dried blackcurrant powder or the placebo, and a probiotic sachet or the placebo. Participants can take the two products together in a cold drink, with yoghurt, or on top of cereal at any time of the day. This is a placebo-controlled study with each participant having a a 75% chance of receiving one or more of the active products, and a 25% chance of receiving the two placebo products.

If you are interested in taking part in this study, follow this link to complete the screening survey.

Disease or condition

Ulcerative Colitis

Recruitment criteria

The study is open to people who are aged 18 years or older with Ulcerative Colitis to participate. Participants will only be recruited to the study after being assessed by a researcher via a telephone interview.

You will not be eligible to participate in this study if you:

  • Have Crohn’s Disease
  • Are currently taking steroids at dose >20mg daily.
  • Are currently infected with a bacteria or virus
  • Have had a change in any antibiotic or probiotic supplements in the past 3 months. (If you are interested in participating but are currently or have just finished taking antibiotics or probiotics, please contact the research team and they may be able to start you in this study after 3 months has passed).
  • Have previously had a bowel resection surgery
  • Are pregnant or lactating
  • Have difficulty understanding or speaking English
  • Have an intolerance to maltose or have sucrose-isomaltose deficiency

Study sponsor / funder

Register your interest


    Please sign up on Join Us here
    You need to be registerd to deterime if you quilify for the study